[petsc-dev] PETSc server

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 8 15:06:53 CST 2014

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> A simple install on windows can be done via cygwin [with gcc/gfortran
> etc.]. A VM will tradeoff installing cygwin with a
> installing/managing/VM+linux

Installing cygwin is more than one command.

> The last I checked - a linux VM install with all the required
> developer tools [and a useable minimal X-desktop] takes 2G or more.

Vagrant wouldn't use a monolithic image.  We would just distribute the
Vagrantfile.  I don't know what the total download size would work out
to, but we wouldn't be the ones hosting it.

> We would be in account-management game instead here. Jed was
> previously proposing having the above image available on amazon - and
> users would just run instances of it the way they need it..

Amazon will host machine images.  Users create an instance and choose
the machine image.  It's pretty easy if you want to use their hardware.