[petsc-dev] Sean is going to love this

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 24 01:58:56 CST 2014

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Jed Brown wrote:

> Sean Farley <sean.michael.farley at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > An end-user would then use pkg-config or a PETSc-provided script for
> > compiling and linking,
> >
> > $ pkg-config --libs petsc
> > -L/opt/local/lib -lnetcdf -lpetsc -L/opt/local/lib/mpich-mp -lmpi -lpmpi
>
> This actually exists in lib/share/pkgconfig/PETSc.pc.  This is okay if
> there will be only one version of PETSc installed to a standard
> location, but not if you want multiple installs (debug/opt,
> mpich/openmpi, etc.).  I wish there was an established convention for
> this.

Some linux distros compile sources with '-g -O' and extract and
package the debug symbols separately [and can be installed by user -
if desired].

And if they support installing both mpich/openmpi packages - then they
have different names - for ex: hdf5-mpich, hdf5-openmpi - and with
this organization - pkg-config would also work?  ["pkg-config --libs
petsc-mpich" vs "pkg-config --libs petsc-openmpi"

Satish