[petsc-dev] Sean is going to love this

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Dec 23 18:21:37 CST 2014

Sean Farley <sean.michael.farley at gmail.com> writes:

> An end-user would then use pkg-config or a PETSc-provided script for
> compiling and linking,
>
> $ pkg-config --libs petsc
> -L/opt/local/lib -lnetcdf -lpetsc -L/opt/local/lib/mpich-mp -lmpi -lpmpi

This actually exists in lib/share/pkgconfig/PETSc.pc.  This is okay if
there will be only one version of PETSc installed to a standard
location, but not if you want multiple installs (debug/opt,
mpich/openmpi, etc.).  I wish there was an established convention for
this.

We actually ensure that debug and opt have the same ABI so the user can
switch them using LD_PRELOAD or LD_LIBRARY_PATH.