[petsc-dev] get moving on gnu make version of PETSc compiler

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 11 11:46:41 CDT 2013

GNU Make is now the default in 'next'.

Please report any issues.

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> From last conversation - we'll have to look at 'shared' targets for
> other arches.

I fixed the Apple shared library suffix issue.

> And figureout a 'user' makefile format that would work with regular
> make as well as exploit gnumake stuff externsions that users might
> want to use..

There is a critical choice of how to deal with changing PETSC_ARCH.  If
you want to build "in-place", we have to do something abusive like
delete object files after compiling, ruining incremental rebuilds.  I
would rather put object files in a "build directory" computed from
PETSC_ARCH.

Complicated packages will always have their own way of organizing
things, so they really only want to get the variables.

I think that namespacing the PETSc makefiles intended for public
inclusion is important, but we can't roll out a change like that until
v3.5.