[petsc-dev] CheckPointer

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 11 11:12:29 CDT 2013

Dave May <dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, being able to optionally turn off the full memory checking (either run
> time or via a configuration flag) in MatSetValues() would be good enough.

I'd rather make everything run-time unless it absolutely must be
configure time because it sucks to reconfigure (and possibly rebuild
downstream libraries/packages).

> Presumably when the full error checking wasn't being used, the error
> checking should revert to using the old style memory checking (e.g. ptr != 0)
> as was used in version 3.2 (and maybe 3.3, I cannot recall).

Yes.  As far as I'm concerned, it should also try to dereference it so
that a SEGV occurs early rather than later.  The only difference between
safe and fast mode is that the SEGV in safe mode is caught by a friendly
signal handler than cleans up and returns so that a normal error can be
propagated.