[petsc-dev] sor smoothers

Mark F. Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Mon Sep 9 20:03:07 CDT 2013

OK, so its ground hog day.  The plan?:

1) I should add a residual method to Mat, make a MatResidualDefault, and have all (yuck) SetUp_MatXXX set this default.  I guess there is no base class SetUp ….  then make a MatResidual_SeqAIJ that just does a dumb residual for now, with testing logic if Jed's stuff is available.

2) Have PCMGResidualDefault call MatResidual instead MatMult & VecAYPX.  Or do we want to nuke PCMGResidualDefault?  Jed's defect correction argument might sound like a typical Jed, e.g., what if a Martian gets hepatitis during mardi gras, but defect correction is really useful and I would like to see its support supported ...

3) Add fields in Mat: mat_res_state, vec_res_state, vec_res_id.  I need to know the types but I can do this in the next phase.

Mark