[petsc-dev] sor smoothers

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 9 16:32:47 CDT 2013

>    I don't care if PCMGSetResidual stays around for now but I do not
>    think we should "point to it" as a standard way for people to do
>    things; I think we should improve how the two slots are used with
>    PCMG, it really has never been thought about at all and whenever
>    possible I think using the two slots appropriately is better than
>    PCMGSetResidual and will solve most of the "use" cases.

Fine, I was just not eager to _delete_ PCMGSetResidual until we had
established a complete replacement, and even then, it might be enough to
leave it as "advanced" and suggest the preferred alternative in the man
page.  It just doesn't seem expensive to support and I don't think it
causes people to tangle themselves up in bad design.