[petsc-dev] Extend Petsc to uses Pardiso

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 17:56:08 CDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Jose David Bermeol <jbermeol at purdue.edu>wrote:

> Hi, right now I'm trying to extend Petsc to be able to solve linear system
> of equations(Ax = b) using Pardiso for LU decomposition. So I have a couple
> of questions:
>
> 1. What is the difference between the methods MatSolve and KSPSolve. And
> in which context should I use each?

KSPSolve gives an approximate solution to a linear system, MatSolve applies
the action of the inverse of a linear operator. Obviously,
the latter is a special case of the former.

> 2. Should I extend the KSP interface or the Mat interface, or what factors
> I have to take into account to make my decision?.

Mat. You can look at the existing implementations for SuperLU, MUMPS,
CHOLMOD, etc. For example,

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/src/716d05691c0666f2035d7b0ccb9332de1aca83df/src/mat/impls/aij/seq/superlu?at=master