[petsc-dev] python2 vs python3 wrt configure

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 24 13:52:15 CDT 2013

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> Do you know if archlinux will switch over to using the guideline from python.org?

The guideline does not prohibit Arch from doing what they did (3 years
ago).  It says that scripts should use "python2" if they will only work
for python-2.x and use "python" if they work for both python-2.x (x=6 or
7 in practice) and 3.y.

> We are currently using python version from RHEL as a guideline. RHEL5
> has python 2.4 with eol in march-2017.
>
> And I see RHEL6 has python-2.6

Python-2.5 was released in 2006, so this is more than 10 years.  We're
not very tolerant of PETSc users that are still using petsc-2.1.2.

This is not to say we have to drop support right away, but python-2.4 is
getting quite old and forces us to use a number of more fragile
constructs.  We may have trouble holding out until 2017.