[petsc-dev] python2 vs python3 wrt configure

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Oct 24 11:47:58 CDT 2013

Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> writes:
>> So configure using '#!/usr/bin/env python' should be fine for a while
>> - and at some point it can be switched to '#!/usr/bin/env python2' if
>> needed.
>

> Will anything break if we change it now?

Default installations of Python through python-2.6 do not contain
"python2", so those users will have to type:

  $ python configure --args

On Arch Linux, I always end up needing:

  $ python2 configure --args

Note that PYTHONPATH is used by both versions, despite containing
version-specific files.  This means that you cannot use
PYTHONPATH (reliably) when using multiple versions of Python.

If we can drop support for Python prior to 2.6, we could upgrade
BuildSystem to work with any of python 2.6, 2.7, or 3.1+.  We have to do
this eventually anyway.