[petsc-dev] PETSc-3.4 PR open at https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/pull/343

Aron Ahmadia aron at ahmadia.net
Sat Oct 12 16:40:39 CDT 2013

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>  It would be nice to have a
> systematic (or at least recommended) place to put that debug library.

/usr/lib/debug

Is standard in Fedora and Debian, good enough for me.

Here's an interesting discussion on Debian on where this is going in
the future (automated creation of debug libraries):
https://wiki.debian.org/AutomaticDebugPackages

PETSc is in an interesting situation because the package itself has
different levels of "optimizations".  If I recall correctly, the input
validation only adds overhead on the order of 5%.  I'd suggest leaving
that in to a prefix build, then stripping/splitting symbols into a
debug library, as the rest of the open source world seems to be doing.