[petsc-dev] PETSc-3.4 PR open at https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-science/pull/343

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 12 16:18:23 CDT 2013

Aron Ahmadia <aron at ahmadia.net> writes:
> As for debug vs. optimized, if it's a prefix install my vote is to
> optimize by default, and let people turn on debugging if they want it.

We do a lot of input validation in debug mode, so it's very valuable for
users to be able to choose between debug and optimized.  Our debug and
optimized builds are now binary-compatible (if other options match) so
you can build your application with optimized and then LD_PRELOAD the
debug libpetsc.so to get those checks.  It would be nice to have a
systematic (or at least recommended) place to put that debug library.