[petsc-dev] Supporting --download-hdf5 in Cygwin?

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 4 15:34:11 CDT 2013

On Fri, 4 Oct 2013, Richard Tran Mills wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> If I tell configure.py '--download-hdf5=1', I get a message that "External
> package hdf5 does not support --download-hdf5 on Microsoft Windows".  However,
> I just built HDF5 1.8.11 from source under 64-bit Cygwin and, except for one
> problem with building the 'h5ls' utility, it appears that this ought to work.
> Can we support this? And what is the procedure for changing package
> configuration info in BuildSystem these days?  These files show up in the
> 'petsc' repo but there appears to be a 'buildsystem' repo on BitBucket as
> well; not sure what the relationship is between them.

When you say 'Supporting --download-hdf5 in Cygwin' and refer to 64-bit - you
mean MS compilers or cygwin gcc/gfortran?

The error message should come up only with MS compilers.

Presumably --download-hdf5 should work with gnu compilers - if it doesn't - it
probably needs some tweaking.

Wrt repo - we now have a single git repo bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc
where all petsc/buildsystem changes should go to.

Satish