[petsc-dev] best fix for -hosts localhost issue

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 15 13:46:21 CST 2013

On Nov 15, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>>> No, it is any mpiexec from my laptop when it is not connected to Wifi. It hangs for the timeout
>>> when mpiexec does gethostbyname(), and then runs. Its horrible.
>>
>>   Not for me. It runs fine when I am not on a wifi network.
>
> Barry, what is in your /etc/hosts?
>
> Matt does *not* have his hostname listed there under 127.0.0.1 because
> he said it caused "some problem”.

~/Src/newmodel  master $ more /etc/hosts
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1       localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1             localhost
fe80::1%lo0     localhost

but note that Apple Mac OS doesn’t (supposedly) use this file except at startup and somehow sets the hostname based on the network or lack of it.