[petsc-dev] Running dsymutil in GNU make build

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 4 12:17:32 CST 2013

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
> Wrt gnu compilers last I checked - fortran common blocks [requiring
> dllexport stuff] was and issue. [perhaps gfortran doesn't have proper
> support for it yet - don't know]
>
> The other issue to fix would be gmakefile compile command. [currently
> gcc/dll works with cmake build using --with-fc=0]

What commands are different when linking with the GNU compilers on
Windows?  This just looks like a handful of linker flags.

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/dll.html

> Wrt MS compilers - I haven't checked. [last I checked - I got bogged
> down with cmake stuff - and didn't get a working dll]

Can you use MS compilers to create a DLL that depends on Cygwin (as it
must until/unless we make PETSc totally independent of posix).

> The 'fortran commom block' stuff probably works with ifort [with the
> required preprocessor directives]. Presumably txcorp and mic-tc have
> patches for that.  The other issue is the build command to get dlls
> with MS compilers [via gmakefile]. I think txcorp uses cmake and
> presumably mic-tc uses MS project files..

This because win32fe does not support the necessary options?