[petsc-dev] PETSc developers who use weird MPI

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 1 22:57:55 CDT 2013

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> On Fri, 1 Nov 2013, Satish Balay wrote:
>
>> >    The reason I had to merge all that stuff into saws was that saws
>> >    could not merge into next because those branches so changed
>> >    next. I had to merge them into saws before I could get saws into
>> >    next.

Peter forgot what had been released to 'next' and rebased after merging,
leading to two copies of the earlier commits.  I think that is the
reason for much of this confusion.

>> >    But I missed 1/2 a one (somehow) getting an outdated verson of
>> >    the sf-sfbasics into saws.
>> >

>> No the more appropriate thing here would be to merge/rebase to latest
>> master.
>>
>> And then attempt to merge saws to next.
>
> $ git log --oneline
> f3d19ed fix outdated PetscOptionsList
> d548240 Merge branch 'prbrune/mat-matcolor' into barry/saws
> 3142415 Fix for multiple definitions in mat/color/interface/ custom fortran bindings
> 76422c6 manually remove old AMS code that got sucked in from master
> fcaff9f Merge branch 'jed/check-pointer-runtime' into barry/saws
> 1a1c1e0 partial update of SAWs with master
> 7737a22 Merge branch 'master' into barry/saws
>
> I see you have merged master into barry/saws

Why this merge "from upstream"?

> - and then had to merge jed/check-pointer-runtime and
> prbrune/mat-matcolor
>
> I'm not sure what can be done here. [my instinct is to reset 'saws' to
> either 7737a22 or the state before that - and redo the 'merge to
> master', and then 'rebase -i' the other required commits - or just
> rebase master onto barry/saws].

I haven't followed the sequence of events (in transit to airport, now
boarded).  What has gone wrong now?

Whatever you do, please don't rebase 'barry/saws' now, since it has been
merged to 'next'.