[petsc-dev] I hate this one

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 21 09:15:25 CST 2013

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 9:04 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is no getting over this. This is exactly why people hate these
> standards. Prescribing a few, coarse
> features is fine and improves readability. Specifying the tiniest details
> is senseless and intrusive fascism.

Uniform code means that we don't have to "look around" to find what style
is being used in that source file. It also means that we can more easily
write and verify scripts that manipulate the source. Most mature projects
have coding guidelines that specify this stuff. PETSc had an informal
guideline that almost everyone except you followed. Yes, we can read the
code either way, but visual consistency is good. There are many good places
for personal expression; source code formatting on a communal project is
not one of them.