[petsc-dev] Coding style and its violations...

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jan 15 14:51:00 CST 2013

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 2:47 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>  Yes. Jed is too in love with Git to ever do this so you have to.

What does this have to do with choice of VCS? They all support commit hooks.

> > - Add nightly tests on the source tree. We can compare the output of a
> properly configured uncrustify against the existing source files and
> complain on a mismatch.
>
>      The problem is that uncrustify is exactly the PETSc style so we can't
> do that comparison automatically. Otherwise we would just run uncrustify on
> all pushes.

The sha1 changes when you change whitespace so it'll be messy to do on push
(rather than on commit) because the pusher will need to zap their old
version of the patches. (Note that the push might happen after merging in
release-3.3, for example, so it gets nasty.)