[petsc-dev] inconsistency for its own sake?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 11 10:26:18 CST 2013

   The thing I don't like about typedef's for function pointers is that they do not display the calling sequencing in the code

  For example  from

> typedef struct _n_TSDM *TSDM;
> struct _n_TSDM {
>   TSRHSFunction rhsfunction;

  or

   PetscErrorCode TSSetRHSFunction(TS ts, TSRHSFunction rhsfunction)

  I have no freaking idea what the calling sequence of rhsfunction is. but with

> typedef struct _n_TSDM *TSDM;
> struct _n_TSDM {
>   PetscErrorCode (*TSRHSFunction)(TS,PetscReal,Vec,Vec,void*);

 or

    PetscErrorCode TSSetRHSFunction(TS ts, PetscErrorCode (*TSRHSFunction)(TS,PetscReal,Vec,Vec,void*);

boom I know exactly the calling sequence.

   Maybe there is some way we can do manual pages for these beasties and consistency of names in different locations so we get the best of both worlds?

   Barry