[petsc-dev] Documentation comment support

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 9 07:58:50 CST 2013

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Look at the grammar from the back of K&R. It requires TYPE tokens when you
> have definitions. However,
> the lexer will produce an ID token unless you look it up in a table. So
> this is feedback from the 'typedef'
> to the lexer.

You're referring to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_lexer_hack

> So we at least need feedback to the lexer from the parse. I know we need
> feedback from cpp
> to the lexer. I will think of it.

No, CPP runs completely before anything else is done; there is no
"feedback". This is also a debugging feature, e.g., you send a preprocessed
source file when reporting a compiler bug so that the compiler devs don't
have to reproduce your environment.