[petsc-dev] LU for MPIAIJ

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 7 20:05:02 CST 2013

It's sort of awkward to deal with PCREDUNDANT for coarse grids, and I have
yet to see any evidence that it's better than gathering to rank 0, solving
sequentially, and scattering the result. What about implementing LU for
MPIAIJ to do the latter algorithm? Then we could trivially make it smart
enough to skip the gather when Mark uses it on the coarse grid of GAMG
(where the entire system is already on rank 0). In additon to being simpler
for the user to interact with, this would fix a lot of fighting between the
PCMG and its children.