[petsc-dev] 2D finite elements in 3D ambient space

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 2 22:12:49 CST 2013

Geoffrey Irving <irving at naml.us> writes:
> To make sure I understand, by "terrible" you mean only nth order
> accurate, where n is the order of the material finite elements, right?
>  I.e., exactly as terrible at finite elements are at resolving
> deformed geometry?  Is there some additional badness about
> isoperimetric?

Yes, but for engineering applications such as turbomachinery, even very
small deviations from conic cause a big disruption (e.g., locking in a
bearing, destabilization in milling).  Isoparametric (where did this
other spelling come from?) elements are plenty practical in many
application areas, including some places that are representing conic
sections.