[petsc-dev] getting rid of TESTEXAMPLES_XXX_XXX stuff

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 2 20:49:27 CST 2013

>    There reason for TESTEXAMPLES_C TESTEXAMPLES_etc is that make
>    doesn’t have if tests. Since we have shifted to gnumake can we
>    eliminate all these variables and handle the cases with appropriate
>    if tests in the makefiles? Then we could also handle more
>    complicated situations like if parmetis, 64 bit indices,
>    datafilespath.

If we continue to specify tests as targets in makefiles, we don't
necessarily need ugly if tests.  One option would be to use
target-specific variables.

runex123: REQUIRE = parmetis mumps 64-bit-indices
runex123:
	${MPIEXEC} -n 2 ./ex123 ...

I don't know how to avoid needing to list all the targets once, other
than to have a script that parses the makefiles and makes that list
(easy, and can update automatically like the $PETSC_ARCH/conf/files that
is relatively transparent).