[petsc-dev] [petsc4py] Extending the Mat extension type

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 10:15:47 CDT 2012

On 29 October 2012 09:46, Florian Rathgeber <florian.rathgeber at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Apologies if this should have gone to petsc-users instead]

I think this list is perfectly fine for the subject of your request.

> I'd like to extend petsc4py's Mat extension type to expose
> MatCreateSeqAIJWithArrays and MatGetArray/MatRestoreArray to python,
> ideally via attributes/methods directly on the extension type.

A minor issue with MatGetArray/MatRestoreArray is to properly support
AIJ and DENSE matrices.

> I know these shouldn't normally be used and reading this thread [1]
> I'm assuming Lisandro doesn't currently have any plans for adding
> either of those to petsc4py?

I would love to add them, the only issue is that I'm not sure about
how to support all the various sparse matrix formats.

We could start by only supporting AIJ matrices. If you can help with
an initial patch, I can continue to refine it.

Are you using petsc-3.3? We can add the required support in branch
release-3.3 of petsc4py, then make a new patch release.

--
Lisandro Dalcin