[petsc-dev] buildsystem: cusp location

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 25 18:03:33 CDT 2012

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, Sean Farley wrote:

> ... or if a package is installed into a path that isn't search by default
> with the compiler?

> ./configure --with-cusp --with-cuda --with-thrust gives
>
>          UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log for
> details):
> You must specify a path for cusp with --with-cusp-dir=<directory>
>
> even though mpicc -show gives
>
> /opt/local/bin/gcc-mp-4.6 -I/opt/local/include ...
>
> and /opt/local/include/cusp/version.h exists.
>
> Note: there is no such package for cusp/thrust to base a default - so
> > the upstream default thats currently implemented is fine [we are
> > supporting actuall use cases instead of fictious ones that don't
> > exist].
>

> Huh? As Jed pointed out, archlinux has it. MacPorts also has it.

Looks like MacPorts is not a 'distribution compliant' system. If it
were - you wold have 'MacPorts compliant' install of cuda, and then
cusp,thrust installed - in the same compliant way. [i.e cuda will also
reside in /opt/local/ etc, and use gcc from /opt/local/ etc..]

And Jed already mentioned cuda package in arch-linux is a hack [and
mentioned both cuda,cusp break distribution rules]. Still - nvcc/gcc
will find /usr/include/cusp automatically on arch.

Satish