[petsc-dev] Reminder: *every* symbol with extern linkage *must* be namespaced

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 17 14:05:30 CDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 13:57, Sean Farley <sean at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Matt, this really needs to be its own external package (unless you have
> written permission the author of tetgen?) before 3.3 is released. I don't
> think the license for tetgen jives with petsc's license, namely, tetgen
> doesn't allow commercial use (which petsc does) without contacting the
> author. If tetgen were an external package, then everything would be ok, I
> believe.

Good point, here's the license text (emphasis added). The TetGen source has
to be removed or you have to put in a configure option like the
old --with-gnu-copyright-code to disable it.

*TetGen License*
*--------------*
*
*
*The software (TetGen) is licensed under the terms of the  MIT  license*
*with the following exceptions:*
*
*
*Distribution of  modified  versions  of this code is permissible UNDER*
*THE CONDITION THAT  THIS CODE AND ANY MODIFICATIONS  MADE TO IT IN THE*
*SAME SOURCE FILES  tetgen.h AND tetgen.cxx  REMAIN UNDER  COPYRIGHT OF*
*THE  ORIGINAL AUTHOR,  BOTH  SOURCE AND OBJECT  CODE  ARE MADE  FREELY*
*AVAILABLE  WITHOUT   CHARGE,   AND  CLEAR   NOTICE  IS  GIVEN  OF  THE *
*MODIFICATIONS.*
*
*
*Distribution of this code for  any  commercial purpose  is permissible*
*ONLY BY DIRECT ARRANGEMENT WITH THE COPYRIGHT OWNER.*
*
*
*The full  license text is reproduced below.*
*
*
*This means that TetGen is no free software, but for private, research,*
*and  educational purposes it  can be  used at  absolutely no  cost and*
*without further arrangements.*
*
*
*