[petsc-dev] broken TS example related to Jacobian and coloring etc.

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Aug 14 17:19:56 CDT 2012

On Aug 14, 2012, at 5:16 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 3:56 PM, Peter Brune <prbrune at gmail.com> wrote:
> Correct; the sheer amount of code using this convention makes it exceedingly painful to fix.  It would be much easier to alter our internals.  I'm *this* close to fugueing on TS especially and removing all PetscObjects from ctx arguments internal to PETSc.  We can pass the TS around by PetscObjectCompose using the coarsen/restrict hooks.
>
> We could also punt with
>
> void *PETSC_NULL_FORCE = &knownlocation;
>
> I like the dogfooding of having TS pass itself as the context to SNES, but could be convinced to change my mind.

   Ok, but then that context cannot be used for any other purpose because of the possible conflict. Which means SNEScoloring thing must be changed.

   Why not use SNESSetApplicationContext() to get the ts into SNES? Here you are passing into the jacobian location something more general than the jacobian context. Do you also pass the ts to the SNESSetFunction() context?