[petsc-dev] How do you get RIchardson?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 16 15:58:43 CDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 22:42, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is of course a fixed point iteration, and your definition of Picard is a
> classic logical
> fallacy. This is a valid fixed point iteration, Picard refers to a fixed
> point iteration,
> therefore all Picard iterations are of this form. In fact, Picard
> encompasses fixed
> point iteration to solve nonlinear equations.

I did not assert that it was the _only_ Picard, merely that it is the Picard
used in practice to solve nonlinear differential equations. In naming
SNESPICARD, you made a different choice, at least as valid in mathematical
purity, but not the fixed point iteration commonly used to solve nonlinear
differential equations. I don't understand why you are so enamored with that
name.