[petsc-dev] rebase question

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 5 09:07:51 CDT 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 15:34, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I agree with resolving conflicts in-tree, but I think they should attempt
> the rebase without touching the working tree and only modify the working
> tree in case of a conflict. I don't know how difficult this would be to
> implement, it depends how rebase is currently implemented and what data
> structures are available.

I asked on #mercurial and apparently there is new code in the development
branch to apply patches in memory. Merge currently still uses the file
system and rebase applies patches by merging one at a time and then going
through afterward to convert merges into autonomous patches. When the people
doing merge make it possible to do a full merge without touching the
filesystem, it _should_ become easy/automatic to make rebase do the same.