[petsc-dev] TSSolve() shouldn't return a time

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Oct 23 15:31:17 CDT 2011

On Oct 23, 2011, at 3:26 PM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 15:18, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>  I wasn't thinking of anything so complicated. Just having a separate routine TSGetCurrentTime() or something to tell you the time after you called TSSolve().
>
> But it's not the current time in the sense that it doesn't correspond to TSGetSolution or any Vec held by TS and it is not used if you call TSStep() or TSSolve(). It's a purely diagnostic point in time with no other significance. I can change the TSSolve() interface if we think of a good name for this thing.

   Wow, that is confusing then :-)   So almost every thing in the manual page is wrong?  It may include "partial time-steps"?  And x is some weird shit that should not be passed back into TSSolve()?  What the ? Is ftime the "interpolated to" time?

   Barry

 TSSolve - Steps the requested number of timesteps.

   Collective on TS

   Input Parameter:
+  ts - the TS context obtained from TSCreate()
-  x - the solution vector

   Output Parameter:
.  ftime - time of the state vector x upon completion

   Level: beginner

   Notes:
   The final time returned by this function may be different from the time of the internally
   held state accessible by TSGetSolution() and TSGetTime() because the method may have
   stepped over the final time.