[petsc-dev] HDF5 has pissed me off one too many times

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 13:28:42 CDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Sean Farley <sean at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I put in a patch for HDF5 since it broke when installing with gfortran on
>> the Mac.
>>

> What was the error that you were patching? I have HDF5 installed on my Mac
> but haven't run into anything (granted, I'm not an advanced user of HDF5).
> Could you point to a breaking case? Also, are you using the new cmake that
> hdf5 has put out? That fixes building cxx with fortran (but still no mpi)
> into shared libraries.
>
> Also, I notice that hdf5.py still uses 1.8.6 and not the newest 1.8.7. Post
> the breaking case and I'll try to reproduce.

The build fails. Turn off the patch and use --download-hdf5 with GNU Fortran
(GCC) 4.6.0 20101106 (experimental). The
build of fortran/test/tH5Sselect.f90 fails. It is not even run, but HDF5
cleverly builds its tests anyway. I just comment out
the offending lines. I looked at the code, but could not identify the F90
problem.

lead.