[petsc-dev] VecNestSetSubVec for VecNest.

Vijay S. Mahadevan vijay.m at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 20:55:23 CDT 2011

> What about VecConvert(), analogous to MatConvert()?

Actually, that is quite consistent in philosophy to the merge
operation I'm trying to perform. SEQ->MPI might still be an invalid
operation for Vec though. Perhaps with a PETSC_DECIDE for local, it
still could be relevant ? You can definitely specialize this for
MPI->SEQ and Nest Vectors with a new VecReuse enum with relevant
names.

> I thought about implementing MatConvert_Nest_AIJ() long ago and think it is
> a good idea. It is simple code that would allow people to paste together
> block matrices much like you can do in Matlab.

This could be quite useful. I've had use cases where I've tried to do
this with MatCopy and MatSetValues. Without an implementation specific
data structure, it does tend to become tedious and possibly
inefficient too.