[petsc-dev] hdf5 self-describing output?

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 15 16:35:56 CDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 16:24, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jed just added some VTK output that has appended binary data. I plan to add
> the strategy we use in
> PyLith which is to write an HDF5 file, and then an xdmf file to describe
> that layout to VTK.

 You can -snes_view_solution_vtk foo.vts or -ts_monitor_solution_vtk
foo-%03d.vts to get binary output for anything that was based on a DA.
Notes:

1. If you set field names with DMDASetFieldName(), those will be present in
the VTK file (hence your GUI of choice).

2. If you name Vecs differently, you can view multiple Vecs to the same file
provided they are associated with a DMDA. The variable name will include the
Vec name.

3. Time series can't go in the same file because VTK is a lame format.

4. You can't view multiple Vecs on _different_ DAs because VTK is a lame
format.

5. DMComposite can't go in the same file because VTK is a lame format. (It
could go to different files, but I haven't written support for this.)