[petsc-dev] hdf5 self-describing output?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 16:24:17 CDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 12:43 PM, Richard Katz
<richard.katz at earth.ox.ac.uk>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I use PetscViewerBinaryMatlabXXX() for output in my application codes.  In
> particular, I rely on PetscViewerBinaryMatlabOutputVecDA() and
> PetscViewerBinaryMatlabOutputBag().  And of course the loader
> PetscReadBinaryMatlab.m.
>
> Is this functionality available for HDF5 files?  If not, do you have any
> interest/plans to add it?

Jed just added some VTK output that has appended binary data. I plan to add
the strategy we use in
PyLith which is to write an HDF5 file, and then an xdmf file to describe
that layout to VTK.

When I do this, we should get your requirements and make sure it works for
you. I hope to get
on this soon.

> Thanks
> Rich