[petsc-dev] why have all this stuff

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 14 10:30:14 CDT 2011

On Oct 14, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Sean Farley wrote:

>  Why have all this stuff?
>
>  http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/petsc-dev/rev/49c718f99df2
>
>   Why not build into the PETSc C code and structures any (small) additional stuff needed to do all this? Why create another entirely new duplicate structure in python to do it?
>
> How else would Matt build and run it in builder{,2}.py? :-P Looks like he wants to get rid of 'make runex19_{1,2,3}' Is there any particular reason for this, Matt (besides hating on 'make')? Quickly glancing at this changeset, I don't see anything that would preclude this from being a 'make runbenchmark' using standard make, awk, sed, etc.

  My plan is to imbed all this stuff directly into the examples and PETSc data structures.  So there is no need for external scripts in make, bash, python or any scripting language. Reason, if you do it in an external scripting language you need to duplicate the PETSc "concepts" and so you end up with code/data structure duplicate in two languages.