[petsc-dev] Moving from BG/L to BG/P

Kevin.Buckley at ecs.vuw.ac.nz Kevin.Buckley at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Thu Oct 13 23:01:42 CDT 2011

Hi there,

Some time ago I built a PETSc (3.0.0-p9) on the BG/P down at NZ's
Univ of Canterbury, for a researcher here at VUW who wanted to
run the PISM ice-sheet modelling code on top of it, and in the
process discovered that the version installed by the sys admins
at the facility was buggy, so the researcher carried on compiling
later PISMs against my 3.0.0-p9.

UoC are in the process of upgrading to a BG/P and the researcher
has asked me to see if I can coddle things together, is keen to
run with what he had before and is under "time pressure" to get
the remaining results needed for a paper, so is hoping I can
install something ahead of the facility's sys admins install
a system wide version.

Notwithstanding the obvious upgrade in release of PETSc from our
3.0 series to the current 3.2, I notice that the petsc-bgl-tools
wrapper package only (not surprisingly I guess, given the bgl bit)
provided for IBM 7.0 and 8.0 compiler suites, so, have you guys
tried out PETSc on a BG/P yet?

And if so, is there now, a

petsc-bgp-tools

package that wraps the IBM 9.0 series compilers that seem to be
there? (Only had access in the last few days, so all news to me!)

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971