[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint #88993] Petsc with Cuda 4.0 and Multiple GPUs

Dave Nystrom Dave.Nystrom at tachyonlogic.com
Sun Oct 2 16:18:30 CDT 2011

In case it might be useful, I have attached two log files of runs with the
ex2f petsc example from src/ksp/ksp/examples/tutorials.  One was run back in
April with petsc-dev linked to Cuda 3.2.  It shows excellent runtime
performance.  The other was run today with petsc-dev checked out of the
mercurial repo yesterday morning and linked to Cuda 4.0.  In addition to the
differences in run time performance, I also do not see an entry for
MatCUSPCopyTo in the profiling section.  I'm not sure what the significance
of that is.  I do observe that the run time for PCApply is about the same for
the two cases.  I think I would expect that to be the case even if the
problem were partitioned across two gpus.  However, it does make me wonder if
the absence of MatCUSPCopyTo in the profiling section of the Cuda 4.0 log
file is an indication that the matrix was not actually copied to the gpu.
I'm not sure yet how to check for that.  Hope this might be useful.

Thanks,

Dave