[petsc-dev] C++ example

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Oct 1 12:40:43 CDT 2011

Matt, I want to add an example that shows ways to manage callback contexts
from C++. It should work with a normal C build of PETSc (as long as a C++
compiler was detected). This means that the compilation rule in the makefile

.c.o .cpp.o .cxx.o .cc.o .C.o .ad.o:

should be split apart into

.c.o:

and

.cpp.o .cxx.o .cc.o .C.o:

The latter will use the C++ compiler any time it is available. In the
current model, this means that we should define PCXX in petscvariables.

Also, can we finally properly namespace everything in petscvariables? We can
have a different include that has a bunch of lines like

CC = ${PETSC_C_COMPILER}
CFLAGS = ${PETSC_C_FLAGS}
AR = ${PETSC_AR}

in case the user wants to import all our variables into the global
namespace.