[petsc-dev] Generality of VecScatter

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 29 08:50:15 CST 2011

You don't need any of this unless your threads need to actually sleep
instead of spin. I think we can afford to have them spin, so we don't need
any locking. You let the threads continue by doing an ordinary write to a
memory location. (You can do more sophisticated things with cmpxchg, which
you likely need at synchronization points.)