[petsc-dev] petsc4py/numpy: is there a performance difference between these two pieces of code?

Aron Ahmadia aron.ahmadia at kaust.edu.sa
Sun Nov 27 08:52:52 CST 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 11:12 AM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 01:44, Aron Ahmadia <aron.ahmadia at kaust.edu.sa>wrote:
>
>> qbc is a multi-dimensional, Fortran ordered numpy array
>>

> Why is it a separate array instead of the one inside of the local vector?

Are you asking: "Why is this not a view into the local vector?"  I'm
guessing because we never thought about it that way :)

I ask the question mostly because we are reevaluating a large set of
performance-related modifications to the pyclaw code base, and I didn't see
a clear justification for the use of reset/place instead of
localToGloba/reset...

I'll have to think a little more about considering qbc a view of the local
array instead of a copy, and probably take a closer look into how it's
being used in pyclaw to explain that.

-A