[petsc-dev] programming model for PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 24 21:39:04 CST 2011

On Nov 24, 2011, at 7:33 PM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 18:56, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the idea of a local point of view is fundamental, not just for parallelism. We use LocalToGlobal mappings in FS so that yu do not have
> to know about other fields, just the same as you should not have to know about other processes.
>
> I agree, local-to-global is the key to scalability. The challenge is making everything run along scalable pipes the way local-to-global does. I think we can do that with these primitives.

   Jed,

     I have no idea what you are talking about. What is "local to global" and what are "these primitives"?

      Example, how do I write a triangular solve using "local to global" and "these primatives?

     How do I write application of a stencil operator using "local to global" and "these primatives?

      How do I write sparse matrix vector product using "local to global" and "these primatives?

       etc etc