[petsc-dev] programming model for PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 24 18:35:51 CST 2011

On Nov 24, 2011, at 6:30 PM, Dmitry Karpeev wrote:

> The MPICH paper anticipates O(1B) cores in an exascale machine.
> The number of cores, however, needn't be the number of nodes (with one MPI process per node),
> if each node has O(1000) cores that are programmed using threads or whatever.  If we can limit the number
> of nodes to O(1M) (at the expense of "fattening" the nodes to whatever crazy core counts people envisage in
> the future), then the current PetscLayout may be an acceptable price to pay.
> Otherwise some sort of hierarchical PetscLayout or something entirely different is necessary.
>
> In any event, this business of storing explicit ranks/offsets for the ghost indices is sort of antithetical to the current
> PetscLayout-based approach of indices having parallel semantics from the outset.  A lot of conceptual difficulties
> in Sieve and MOAB (and the need for the extra objects such as Overlap and ParallelComm (sic!)) stem from a lack of
> a global address space.  If we are planning to do away with PetscLayout in its current form, I think
> the whole PETSc parallelization model requires rethinking.  That's definitely not an incremental change.

   Everything is on the table. I could envision a model/implementation of PETSc that has no concept of global numbering and always works with rank,local indexing.

   Being able to make a user friendly system with any model/implementation, of course, is crucial to whether the proposed system makes any sense.

   Barry