[petsc-dev] programming model for PETSc

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 24 18:30:13 CST 2011

The MPICH paper anticipates O(1B) cores in an exascale machine.
The number of cores, however, needn't be the number of nodes (with one MPI
process per node),
if each node has O(1000) cores that are programmed using threads or
whatever.  If we can limit the number
of nodes to O(1M) (at the expense of "fattening" the nodes to whatever
crazy core counts people envisage in
the future), then the current PetscLayout may be an acceptable price to pay.
Otherwise some sort of hierarchical PetscLayout or something entirely
different is necessary.

In any event, this business of storing explicit ranks/offsets for the ghost
indices is sort of antithetical to the current
PetscLayout-based approach of indices having parallel semantics from the
outset.  A lot of conceptual difficulties
in Sieve and MOAB (and the need for the extra objects such as Overlap and
ParallelComm (sic!)) stem from a lack of
a global address space.  If we are planning to do away with PetscLayout in
its current form, I think
the whole PETSc parallelization model requires rethinking.  That's
definitely not an incremental change.

Dmitry.