[petsc-dev] snes/examples/tutorials/ex27.c

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 15 15:40:48 CST 2011

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 15:36, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I think it is best if the TS example be cleaned up to do everything the
> SNES example did and not have both around. People will stumble upon the
> SNES one and use it as a template for their work when they should use the
> TS one.

Okay, I'll document the options to reproduce the paper's results.

>    I would like the TS pseudo time-stepping stuff to actually be a SNES
> solver. That is SNESType SNESPSEUDOTS or something and not be part of TS.
> This is controversial hence nothing has been done to make it this way. Some
> people may argue it is the wrong approach.

Well, the way in which the transient term is added is really quite
important. Especially since Ptc often uses some sort of local time
stepping, I don't see a good way to produce that without creating the TS
interface. Since the interface is TS, I think it belongs there.