[petsc-dev] checking if a vector is ghosted

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 9 16:55:21 CST 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 16:50, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> We don't usually do things that way hence I think a specific checking
> function is better.
>
>   3 seconds later I like the idea of returning null if it does not exist
> and not having the other checking function. Mark me down for the returning
> null approach.

So the concern is what should VecGhostUpdateBegin/End do for non-ghosted
Vecs? In the serial case, there is no harm in doing nothing because in the
usual situation, there are just zero ghosted entries. For user-defined
Vecs, what should happen?

Should VecGhostUpdateBegin just fail for anything that is not explicitly
ghosted? I don't have a problem using a Vec_MPI in serial so that the
presence of exactly 0 ghosts can be explicit.