[petsc-dev] petsc shared libraries on cygwin?

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Thu May 12 04:42:11 CDT 2011

On 12 May 2011 05:30, Brad Aagaard <baagaard at usgs.gov> wrote:
> Under what conditions (configure args), if any, will petsc-dev build a
> shared library on cygwin? I am getting static libraries which are causing
> linking problems when trying to build python modules that use petsc.
>
> Lisandro- Do you build petsc4py on cywgin? If so, how do you configure petsc
> and mpi?

I do not build petsc4py on Cygwin, nor Windows. A necessary first step
is that PETSc can build itself as DLL's. Note that you should be able
to build petsc4py without DLL's, however you will not be able to use
any other code that uses PETSc (like SLEPc and slepc4py). I do not
have this issue with mpi4py, as I can download a binary installer with
pre-built DLL's. Unfortunately, I do not have the
expertise+time+interest to get PETSc working on Windows. Once you have
PETSc DLL's, getting petsc4py is just a matter of 15 minutes of
hacking and testing.

BTW, what errors do you get when trying to link petsc4py on Cygwin?

--
Lisandro Dalcin