[petsc-dev] Bug in petsc-dev?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 22 11:16:12 CDT 2011

On Mar 22, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Thomas Witkowski wrote:

> Could some of you test the very small attached example? I make use of the current petsc-dev, OpenMPI 1.4.1 and GCC 4.2.4. In this environment, using 4 nodes, I get the following output, which is wrong:
>
> [3] BCAST-RESULT: 812855920
> [2] BCAST-RESULT: 450385
> [1] BCAST-RESULT: 450385
> [0] BCAST-RESULT: 450385
>
> The problem occurs only when I run the code on different nodes. When I start mpirun on only one node with four threads

   You mean 4 MPI processes?

> or I make use of a four core system, everything is fine. valgrind and Allinea DDT, both say that everything is fine. So I'm really not sure where the problem is. Using PETSc 3.1-p8 there is no problem with this example. Would be quite interesting to know if some of you can reproduce this problem or not. Thanks for any try!

   Replace the PetscInitialize() and PetscFinalize() with MPI_Init() and MPI_Finalize() and remove the include petsc.h now link under old and new PETSc and run under the different systems.

   I'm thinking you'll still get the wrong result without the Petsc calls indicating that it is an MPI issue.

   Barry