[petsc-dev] Fwd: Poisson step in GTS

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jun 19 14:39:18 CDT 2011

On Jun 19, 2011, at 8:13 AM, Jed Brown wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 03:33, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> > No, Cray does not provide any threaded BLAS 1.  Generally speaking it is not worth threading a single nested loop unless the trip count is very high and generally that does not happen often enough to warrant the special BLAS.  In fact, I am not even sure we omp BLAS 2, I don't think so.
>
> This shouldn't be surprising. It's worth noting that inside of multigrid (or a surface-volume split problem) the same vector operation will be called with quite different sizes. Managing the granularity so that threads are used when they will actually be faster, but not when the size is too small to offset the startup cost is not trivial.

   Huhh? VecDot() {if n is >> big use 2 threads else use 1} I don't see why that is hard?

> A related matter that I keep harping on is that the memory hierarchy is very non-uniform. In the old days, it was reasonably uniform within a socket, but some of the latest hardware has multiple dies within a socket, each with more-or-less independent memory buses.

  So what is the numa.h you've been using. If we allocate vector arrays and matrix arrays then does that give you the locality?

   BTW: If it doesn't do it yet, ./configure needs to check for numa.h and do PETSC_HAVE_NUMA_H

   Barry