[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint #80119] Re: make install broken on unix?

Ethan Coon ecoon at lanl.gov
Mon Jul 25 11:48:58 CDT 2011

> On Jul 21, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Jed Brown wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 14:37, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> > Maybe pythonscripts?
> >
> > Seems to me it should be installed like a proper python package, using a suitable setup.py. This usually puts it in $prefix/lib/python2.x/site-packages/.

I disagree with this completely.  There's a tendency to think of everything python as a package -- this is NOT a package.  It has no __init__.py, it has no __all__, it has no submodules, and it doesn't need any of that.  It simply does a one-off task -- it's bits of code to be used in a script.  Putting this sort of code in site-packages is what makes site-packages the nightmare of ignored dependencies and overlapping versions it is today.

If you want to make it into a package, you're welcome to do so.  With that includes registration with the cheeseshop to make sure the namespace is unique, placing the single file within a folder that includes an __init__ (and then likely just gets imported within that __init__), writing a setup.py, etc etc.  It's just complete overkill.

Ethan

--
Ethan Coon

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~ecoon/