[petsc-dev] configure issues

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 06:17:49 CST 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:05 AM, Jed Brown <jed at 59a2.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:56, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We used to have everything in the preprocessor, and we could happily edit
>> that and never have to think
>> about Python at all. We abandoned that approach because it was too
>> complicated, prone to break, and
>> we spent all of our petsc-maint time on it.
>>

> I don't know what examples you are referring to, I started with PETSc in
> 2004.

Everything before configure was 'bmake' which was pure preprocessor.

> I don't see a lot of logic currently being done on the Python side and used
> from C, petscconf.h does not have logic in it. No C source files or function

What does this sentence mean? If petscconf.h has no logic, then isn't all
the logic on the Python side? Isn't all that logic used from C?

> bodies are currently generated by Python. It sounds like you want to
> generated imperative code in Python and call that from C. I think that would
> add

We can currently control the build to do selective builds, just as we do
with #defines right now. I think that removing that code from the tree and
building everything would actually be simpler.

   Matt

> complexity.

lead.